Music Together® is an internationally recognized early childhood music and movement program. Children and grownups joyfully share songs, rhymes, movement, and instrument play in a relaxed, playful, and non-performance-oriented setting.
Music Together is scientifically proven to plant the seeds of success in our little ones through music and movement classes. A Music Together study in Bridgeport, Connecticut, found that children participating in this program made greater gains in the following areas of development compared to those who did not participate: cognitive, language, verbal fluency, self-esteem and self-confidence, and physical coordination.
These classes don’t just benefit children. Studies show that the parents involved in Music Together develop more confidence in their singing ability, engage in more spontaneous music-making, and strengthen the relationship and bond with their child. Additionally, studies have found that when music, like our program, is systematically presented within the home environment, positive effects can be noted in family members.
Check out our Music Together website to learn more and sign up for classes!
All children are sounders and movers, and their natural aptitude for music blossoms in a sufficiently rich music environment. In fact, when given a supportive music environment, children learn to sing and dance as naturally as they learn to walk and talk.
How is this possible? Children learn differently than adults. They learn instinctively and constantly. They teach themselves through imitation and play, through being immersed in their environment, and through every interaction with adults and older children.
Young children learn through play and experimentation and by watching and listening to the grownups they love. Setting an example as an enthusiastic participator in music activities is the best thing any parent or caregiver can do to help set a child on the road to a lifelong love of music. Parents don’t need to have music skills—they just need a desire to play and have fun with their children! Our teachers are specially trained to create a safe atmosphere so you can happily join in, experiment, or even get silly—and feel closer to your child while doing so.
Music Together offers three distinct types of classes to enrich your childrens’ lives, no matter their ages:
- For children 8 months and younger, our Babies Class is a one-semester introduction to Music Together, giving them early exposure to the benefits of music and movement.
- Start your child on the path to a lifetime of musical enjoyment and achievement with CCSA’s Prelude Choir, CCSA’s new early choral experience for 5-7-year-olds! Our early choral experience introduces young singers to music, singing and rhythm all in the context of a rich and engaging environment.
- The Family Classes are mixed in ages, from birth through age 4, and allow children and parents to come together in musically fun and innovative ways.
- For children ages 8 and up, The Children’s Chorus of San Antonio builds on the music education learned in Music Together classes by offering the highest quality of choral education and performance opportunities for children up to age 22.
A typical Music Together class includes…
- Fully trained, registered Music Together teachers leading groups of six to twelve children and their parents or caregivers (nannies, babysitters, grandparents, or relatives) in forty-five minutes of music and movement experiences.
- A dozen songs and rhythmic rhymes, including fingerplays, small- and large-movement activities, and instrument play.
- Children and their adults having opportunities to create and improvise—making up new words to songs, offering movement ideas, making silly sounds, and sharing musical ideas from the family’s play at home.
- A relaxed, playful, non-performance-oriented classroom setting, which respects and supports the unique learning styles, developmental levels, and temperaments of all participants, creating a strong sense of community.
- Families receiving two new CDs each semester—one for home and one for on-the-go—along with an illustrated songbook that’s filled with music-making ideas for spontaneous music play beyond the weekly classes.
- A Parent DVD guide for new families: “Music Together at Home: Helping Your Child Grow Musically.”
The children of families most critically in need of the benefits of Music Together currently do not have access to this important component of their early development. Thus, CCSA has implemented a series of free, weekly Music Together early childhood classes specifically for the children of families at Haven for Hope – an organization dedicated to changing the lives of San Antonio’s homeless community through education, job training, and behavioral health services. Our objective is to participate in the transformation of lives and to facilitate the strengthening of the family bond through the active participation in a positive and encouraging musical setting.
Music Together at Haven for Hope is a unique blend of music-making and family bonding that directly supports a child’s growth and development. Parents from Haven for Hope have noted that participation in Music Together creates “families’ safe space” and “brings a very special bond between not just me and my daughter, but other families also.” Because this shared activity takes place in a safe, welcoming, and non-threatening environment, parents develop relationships not only with their children, but also with other residents in the Haven for Hope Family Unit, contributing to their support network and inspiring greater expectations for the future of their children.